Monday, December 12, 2011

Final Project - Signs of the Zodiac


For the final project I chose to do the signs of the zodiac. I looked at several different shoots of this kind and many were very rigid with how they displayed each sign, which I found stereotypical. So in the end I decided to allow the model to best represent themselves as their particular sign. I wanted to give them the chance to portray themselves for who they are beside their sign, because a zodiac sign doesn’t make the person. I used two strobes with differently colored gels taped over each to cast two different colored shadows. This effect represents the different sides to each sign, and which one a particular person chooses to embrace. I worked on the bulb setting at f5.0 for each shot. No additional work has been done to the images except cropping. I then light painted each of the signs in front of each model to the left. This way it looked almost as if they are looking into their zodiac, almost as if seeing things about themselves they never knew.
This project was a struggle in a lot of ways. Finding twelve different models for each zodiac sign proved to be more difficult than I thought, especially when trying to find models with adjacent symbols that I hadn’t already done.  Then actually coordinating with everyone’s schedules and make it fit perfectly with the availability of the photo studio was the most difficult part. Overall I think the pictures came out really well and I’m really satisfied with the end result. I’m grateful that I actually got the chance to put this idea into play.

 Aquarius
 Aries
 Cancer
 Capricorn
 Gemini
 Leo
 Libra
 Pisces
 Sagittarius
 Scorpio
 Taurus
 Virgo

No comments:

Post a Comment